Preserving
Australia's
Pottery Relics.

Ozpotterycollectors

Wanted

We are always chasing pre 1930 Australian pottery.
Ginger Beer bottles, demijohns, teapots, water filters, butter coolers, bread plates, and more!
Top prices paid!
Please drop a line to ozpotterycollectors@gmail.com
Or give us a call:
Scott: 0422 479 480
David: 0407 821 767

Further Research

Moreton Pottery, Sydney
Leak Pottery, Sydney
Skinner Pottery, Sydney
Government Pottery, Sydney
McArthur Pottery, Sydney
Field Pottery, Sydney
Fowler Pottery, Sydney
Irrawang Pottery, Hunter Valley



King's Irrawang Pottery


The Irrawang Pottery was established in the Hunter on the William's River by James King in the early 1830s. King was a merchant who employed potters, most likely convicts assigned to him. By 1835 the pottery was turning out brown earthenware in the form of milk pans, cheese pans, preserve, cream & covered jars and porous water carafes and collanders for the Sydney market through a J. Bird in York St.

In 1836, Kings wares were being sold through Burdekin's Waterloo Stores in market St Sydney as well as George Wagg in George St opposite the Royal Hotel, adding Water Filters, Baking Dishes, Water monkeys, mugs, chimney pots, ginger beer bottles, spirit jugs (demi johns), bed pans, water cans, ink bottles,melting pots, desert sets, crucibles, pipes and sugar boxe to their product range.
At this time the wares were sometimes marked with an impressed:

J KING
IRRAWANG.


Kings Irrawang Pottery circa 1838
Note water filters in front fore ground and wares on the board the man is carrying, appears to be jugs and other utilitarian ware.
A man in the middle background is also attended to wares that are probably either waiting to be placed in the kiln or just taken out.
A puddler for the clay can be seen behind the group of aboriginal people.
One large kiln can be see with two smaller ones in the left background.

The pottery closed for a period after this, reopening in the early 1840s. The product range was back to basics with jars, milk coolers, dishes, ginger beer bottles and hand basins on offer, being sold through Joseph Medlam at East Maitland and Thomas Coates in George St Sydney.
In 1844 the potteries water filters achieved grand proportions, being compared as better than the English made, decorated on the lid with a dolphin for a handle, and sea shells on the body for handles. The body was made in seperate parts for ease of cleaning of the charcoal filter and mounted on a stand.
The sale of ginger beer bottles, stone jars and cane coloured wares at the Maitland branch was quite intensive.
During 1846, a pair of 6 gallon holy water jars were made for Mr Councillor Coyle, destined for St Patricks church. These were quite elaborate, being octagonal in shape, decorated on six of the sides with Saints Peter and Paul and the holy family, the other two sides had ornamental handles, the covers surmounted with small crosses. It is not known if these still survive!
From the later half of the 1840s their wares were being exported to New Zealand and Tasmania. It was probably at this time that the wares were marked:

IRRAWANG
AUSTRALIA

The pottery closed in 1853 due to the labour trying their luck on the goldfields